In 1942 a major breakthrough occurred in the progress of the department due to the donation of a set of buildings by a local philanthropist Mathura Dass Padam Chand Jain. This provided a solid foundation based on which further development in terms of increased patient care and educational and research programmes could take place.
The students passing out with degrees of M.S. and D.O.M.S. have played a great role in spreading the fame and reputation of the institute. Most of the alumni of the ophthalmology deptt. have held coveted posts outside and done the department and institution proud by displaying unmatched clinical and academic ability along with a strong dedication and commitment to the profession.
The department has further upgraded under the national plans and additional staff & various equipments have been sanctioned. Presently in the diagnostic field, we are here to serve with a fully equipped set up for glaucoma screening & diagnosis like applanation tonometry, slit lamp biomicroscopy gonioscopy, Automated perimetry & fundus photography for documentation. Angiography is being done routinely for the diagnosis of various retinal problems. YAG-Laser is there to met with the problems of after cataract. In the operative field we carry a continuosly augmented operation theatre with best operating microscopes, phacomemulsification, crytheraphy, oculoplasty, squint, glaumaand pediatric and other various surgery.